Real Madrid-Mbappe left with image rights agreement to finalise deal

Kylian Mbappe’s move to Real Madrid appears to be on the brink of completion, with only the image rights agreement left to finalise.

In an intriguing development, Spanish publication AS has indicated that the deal between Mbappe and Real Madrid is nearing completion, with the final agreement expected to be conclusive.


Previously, it was noted that Real Madrid, the reigning European champions, are hesitant to surpass their wage limit. This implies that Mbappe, aged 25, will likely be on a salary similar to that of Jude Bellingham and Vinicius Jr.

So what’s stalling the deal?

– Advertisement –

Since the Galacticos era at Real Madrid, there has been a longstanding tradition of evenly splitting image rights, with a 50/50 division between the club and the player.

This practice initially laid the foundation for the Galactico era, characterized by the financial success of iconic players such as Figo, Ronaldo, David Beckham, and Zinedine Zidane.


However, this arrangement faced disruption with the arrival of Cristiano Ronaldo in 2009. Madrid found themselves compelled to yield to his salary demands, altering the established norm.

The current negotiation between Real Madrid and Mbappe is primarily centred around the distribution of these image rights. This remains the final point of contention in their discussions, slowing down the finalisation of the deal.

What’s the current discussion?
While the finalisation of this deal is imminent, current discussions centre around the allocation of image rights. It is understood that Mbappe will retain 80% of these rights, with the remaining 20% assigned to Real Madrid.

Currently, Mbappe enjoys full control of his image rights, resulting in an annual income of €20 million solely from advertising. However, joining Madrid will significantly increase his earnings, even with a shared quota, elevating his global status substantially.

Mbappe currently boasts three major sponsors: Nike, Hublot, and Oakley. A move to Real Madrid promises to further enhance his popularity, translating into substantial financial gains for both Madrid and Mbappe, effectively making him a lucrative asset for the club.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *