MILES SAMPA ANNOUNCES PF WILL NOT FIELD PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE IN 2026
By Makasa chanda
Former Matero Member of Parliament Miles Sampa has announced that the Patriotic Front (PF) will not sponsor or field a presidential candidate in the 2026 general elections, saying the party needs time to rebuild following its defeat in 2021.
Speaking during a press briefing on Monday evening, Sampa said the PF’s biggest mistake after losing power was attempting to immediately reclaim government in the next election cycle instead of focusing on rebuilding the party.
“We lost elections in 2021 and then wanted to retain power again in 2026. When MMD lost in 2011, they wanted to come back immediately in 2016 and we saw what happened. The same happened with UNIP after 1991,” Sampa said.
He argued that political parties that lose power often face internal divisions, betrayal and instability because of the pressure to quickly return to government.
“My role and ambition is to make the PF survive. I do not want to be part of a process that will make the PF disappear like UNIP or MMD,” he stated.
Sampa said after consultations with senior party members, key stakeholders and members of the central committee, a decision had been reached for the PF not to participate in the presidential race in 2026.
“I want to officially announce that the Patriotic Front will not participate on the presidential ticket for 2026. The PF will not field or sponsor a presidential candidate,” he declared.
According to Sampa, the party would instead focus on rebuilding over a longer period, potentially targeting 2031 for a future presidential comeback.
He added that the PF may still participate in parliamentary and local government elections in selected constituencies by fielding candidates for Member of Parliament, councillor, mayor and council chairperson positions.
Sampa also clarified that the PF has not yet endorsed any presidential candidate for 2026, saying such a decision would only be made after wider consultations among party stakeholders.
“We are not endorsing any presidential candidate as PF at the moment. That may happen in due course after thorough consultations,” he said.
Earlier in the briefing, Sampa accused suspected United Party for National Development (UPND) cadres of attacking him and his supporters in George Compound using knives, pangas and firearms during a recent political engagement.
He claimed the matter had initially not been acted upon by police despite reports being made at Matero and George police stations, although he later indicated he would cooperate with police investigations.
Sampa further warned against political violence ahead of the 2026 elections, saying violence would not win public support.
“If violence is what wins elections, then PF would have won in 2021,” he said.
The briefing was also attended by Tiende Alliance partner and party president Brian Mutale.
